Thoughts Moving Meditation: This meditation is a favorite among the kids, teens and staff I volunteer with during bed time at Experience Camps, a free one week camp experience for kids who have lost a loved one. Mindfulness is often associated with stopping thoughts, and for kiddos that have many thoughts, this can feel overwhelming to think about doing. In order to clear our “container” we first must notice that we have a container, and what’s in it. This meditation is a good practice as we learn to be observers of our thoughts. When we get good at noticing them, we can decide what we do with them – keep them, play with them, change them or simply let them go…Enjoy.
FAVorite TRAVEL activity: Enjoyed that road trip sunset?
Grab a pen and jot a note of how beautiful it was. Send it to your self and the reminder will be waiting for you when you get home.
Articles & Links
- The crucial role of recess at school- Article
- The Importance of Play in Child Development – Article
- The Importance of Early Childhood and Relationships – A 2013 Chicago’s Idea Talk by Bruce Perry (Video)
- The Power of Vulnerability – TED Talk by Brene Brown (Video)
- Inside the Teenage Brain – PBS Video
- Explaining the gender binary to young children – Link to website
- Open to Hope – Finding Hope After Loss – a wonderful resource for healing after loss
- One stop landing page – A comprehensive telephone list of all US-based telephone hotlines for various categories
- Kids Health – Great site for medical information broken down into three categories; Parents, Teens and Kids
- What’s Your Grief? – Information about grief, support for caregivers and professionals.
- Rethinking Drinking: Alcohol and your health – Website that features helpful concrete tools and information.
I’m happy to help connect you.
The shared resources are for informational purposes and are not intended as substitutes for direct consultation with a mental health practitioner. If you are searching for a resource on a particular topic, please feel free to reach out and ask.